Sunday, May 24, 2009

MAJESTIC GOD

We’re here! We arrived Friday night safely without any trouble. Our flights were ahead of schedule and Barry and Robby were waiting on us when we arrived. Robby is a volunteer from Tennessee who we met last year in Zambia. This past weekend Mandy and I along with Robby have been staying at Barry and his wife Wendy’s house in Harare, Zimbabwe. We are having a restful weekend and will begin training on Tuesday. Barry’s house is definitely considered ‘living large’ here in Harare. It has a big yard, swimming pool, and tennis court. Mandy and I are staying in room together with two separate beds and a desk area with Barry’s laptop so we can occasionally get on the internet. There are random power cuts here and the internet is very slow so we can’t get on very much. But the power has been on since we have been here so it’s been good. Saturday they let us sleep late --- so Mandy woke me up around 11am. We were tired!

            The afternoon consisted of us talking, visiting the local market, and getting coffee at a coffeehouse. Then we spent some time trying to get on the internet to email our parents which took a while, had dinner, and played a boardgame called ‘Settlers of the Catan’. Today we went to Barry and Wendy’s church. It is a lot like church at home except the people were a bit more expressive. There were people dancing as they worshiped and also people just standing or sitting down. I recognized most of the songs we sang. They sing a little African music in another language and contemporary Christian music like Hillsong.  The African culture is much more relational than we are. We are more time oriented, where as church started at 9am and people were still arriving at 9:30am. When I say they are more relational I mean that no matter if they are late or early to a meeting or something, they always go around in the middle of the service and greet others important to them first before anything. So we may be singing songs and worshiping while people will arrive late and still go around to certain people and greet them. They were all very welcoming.

            I recognized a few faces I knew which was interesting. I recognized two guides I have had on trips – Tawanda from the first time I went to Zambia and Shelton from the last time I went. It is cool to see familiar faces across the world. The first night I was here along with yesterday I was having a few doubts about this summer. I was thinking things like, “Am I really going to be here for 2 & ½ months?” and “Can I handle being away for this long?” and “Did God really call me for this?” It was just random thoughts going through my head, doubting whether or not I am supposed to be here. I just prayed to God for comfort, knowing it was all in my head. This morning when I was at a church in place with an entirely different culture, different language, thousands of miles away from home, and yet we were still worshiping the same God ---- it was then I was reminded that I am exactly where I need to be. I will have my weak moments when I miss home but this is DEFINITELY part of God’s plan for me. I don’t know what all He will show me or do through me but I do know that I am excited! I am excited that I get to serve him the best I know how and He will be glorified. I am excited that I get to love others with the love of Jesus Christ! Our God is such a Majestic God!

Throughout the next few days we will be talking through our plans with Barry and planning things. I will be leaving to guide our church's trip next Thursday or Friday in Zambia. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers in the next week as I prepare for the trip. I will be learning a lot! Thank you so much for your love and support. 

love,

Megan

3 comments:

  1. Megan Elizabeth Carroll;
    Just know that we are praying for you and love you so very much!! You are so very special and have such a loving and caring heart, so humble. MAY GOD BLESS YOU ABUNDANTLY, WITH MUCH LOVE FROM HOME.Verbena, Alabama;
    .mom and dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, You don't know me, but I know your father as a work acquaintance. He forwarded your blog to me after a discussion this morning. Just wanted you to know that I will be praying that God will allow your safe return home, and that He will use you to to fulfill his plan to spread the work to all nations prior to his Son's return. May you be blessed as much as you bless others in your trip.

    David Turner, Tuscaloosa, AL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, you are in the right place and i am so proud of you and mandy! what an example you are to the rest of us back home in the states to give up your whole summer to serve the Lord! you both are precious to me and i am praying for ya'll! love and miss you!!!

    hannah

    ReplyDelete