Friday, July 10, 2009

Orphans








While staying in Harare, Mandy and I have been working at different volunteer projects which include various orphanages and schools. One orphanage we have been spending time at is St. Joseph’s school for boys. There are roughly around 55 boys that stay there from the age of 10 to 18. The school is a large building that is in need of renovation. About 6 of us spent a few days there doing some practical work a couple of weeks ago and since then larger groups have come through and made some progress as well. We have been painting corridors and bedrooms, replacing light switches and windows. It has been such a blessing to be a part of it. Seeing the boys’ faces when we completed their room was such a reward. They were so excited! One of the boys said that his room was “completely perfect!” It’s amazing to see how much of a difference it makes in their lives. Along with painting their rooms and halls we have been able to talk to them and develop relationships with them. There are only a few rooms completed and that school is huge! There is so much work to be done there – they just need some people willing to give up their time to come. It’s so frustrating to me seeing the building in such a state and find out the only reason it is still that way is because they need people to come. The funds and supplies are there. They just need some volunteers. One night we went their after dinner and played games with them and shared a little bit about ourselves. Simply spending time with them and showing them you care means the world to them.

Another orphanage I have spent some time at is St. Katherine’s school for disabled children. That experience was really heartbreaking because there aren’t many teachers there. The environment is good but there are like 80 children there that need constant attention but only a few teachers that watch over them. We played with them for a few hours the other day and some were literally running to us. There were some though that were very withdrawn and I went to play with them. We were throwing balls back and forth, working on their hand-eye coordination, and I was so amazed at the progress I was making with them! There were a few children that wouldn’t even look at the ball if I rolled it to them but after a little time they were catching and throwing it back. Those few ladies that look after them are amazing – they have such hearts for helping the children but they can’t give them all of the attention that they need.

Another orphanage we have been to is Hatcliff. This orphanage is extremely sad. It’s a farm right outside of town, really small and not developed at all, at least 40 children there with literally no one to look after them. Every day there are a couple of workers there but only doing chores like washing sheets, cleaning the yards, cooking food, etc. These children have never seen anything other than the small farm they live on and they are completely neglected. It’s like survival of the fittest – when they get into fights or problems, they have to sort themselves out. The majority of them have a skin infection or disease of some sort. They have skin spots and open wounds that need treating. Among them there are a few that are really sick because they are sleeping all of the time – no energy, no life. Last week we went and played games with them. It was awesome seeing how happy they were! All they want is attention. Since Mandy and I have been back and forth to Zambia, we haven’t spent as much time at the projects. It’s amazing to see how happy and excited the kids are just by spending time with them. These are just a few examples of the orphanages and schools we have visited.

Among so many people here that have touched my heart, one person I would like to mention is an ACTS guide as well. He is 18 years old and an orphan. He is truly an amazingly sincere, servant-hearted guy. He is a phenomenal cook and has been guiding a few trips so I have spent some time with him here and there. One evening we stayed up late talking and he shared with me his life story – absolutely incredible. I was so humbled as he shared with me his childhood. He has experienced more in his life than I could ever imagine. He lost his parents, was physically and verbally abused by his step-mother, gone through a time when he and his sister was literally starving, and was once mugged – held at gunpoint. I could go on… He sat there and shared with me so many experiences and how God has kept him safe and alive. He was blown away when I told him I have four parents. He couldn’t imagine. We are so different – completely different lives and we both ended up here working with ACTS. It’s amazing how God works. It’s so humbling to see what all a person can experience and how God creates him to be such a remarkable person. Thinking back over times when I complain because I have two family gatherings going on at the same time and I can’t attend both – thinking about that now makes me sick to my stomach. I am so incredibly blessed. Be sure to thank God for your family. I’ve been thanking Him for mine every day.

I will update in the next few days about mine & Mandy's trip. brace yourself.

2 comments:

  1. I check your blog every morning because it is exciting to see God working in your life. Thank you for the reminder of how blessed I have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart breaks to read your thoughts, your trials, your blessings, My heart breaks because I cannot embrace you and tell you how much I love you; at the same time, I am thankful you recognize what we all take for granted; each other and God's blessings.
    I am hugging you in my heart and I love you so very much, mom

    ReplyDelete